Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A word from Carley...

Carley McGovern is a Barnabas Prep student from Maryland. She loves to reinvent her mom's home-cooking in our kitchen and we love when she surprises us with cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcakes.

I love Barnabas Prep so much. It is teaching me lots. Before I came here, I was not good at doing things for myself. One day one of the interns asked me to butter my own bagel. I was like, “You want me to do what?” I was so mad and complained the whole time. When I was done, I was proud of myself. That was the first of many things I now do on my own. Barnabas Prep is teaching me I can do more than I think I can if I just try. And who cares if it doesn’t work out the first time? Keep trying. That is what Barnabas Prep is all about. Learning to do things on our own can be hard at times but my Prep family and I get it done and have fun along the way.

One of my favorite things we have done all started one Wednesday night at dinner when George said there was no class on Thursday and we were going to Springfield. But he did not tell us why. We spent all night trying to guess what we were doing. On Thursday we all got in the car, still not knowing anything. We drove to the Springfield camp office. I was so excited to find out what we were doing. Then Jason comes out and tells the interns to get in one car and us stay in the car. Donna drove us to Incredible Pizza. I was excited. Jason and Donna told us that we could eat all the pizza we wanted and play the games. We desired to go go-carting. Yes, people in wheelchairs can drive go carts. Not well, but we can. I got to go with Jason and had a blast.

I love my Barnabas Prep family and am so glad I get to take part in everything Barnabas Prep has to offer.

To see video and photos from Carley and the other students’ go-cart adventures, check out their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/barnabasprep.

No comments:

Post a Comment